Thursday, August 14, 2008

London, Day 1

Oh My God. I took soooo many pictures on our trip that I am overwhelmed when I think about sharing them. At the same time, I want to share them very much because it was such a wonderful trip! So I am going to break it down day by day. I just don't know how else to manage it. Here goes:

Our friends Kerri and Misty gave us a ride to the airport and we stopped at the Marin headlands to say goodbye to San Francisco (also to use the bathroom).
This is our hotel room in London. Don't we look great for having been on an airplane for 10 hours?

The room was very modern and simple (which I love!) so I had fun taking pictures of the furniture. I will only bore you with the one photo of the chair, though.
This is the outside of our hotel. Not so modern out here, huh? It actually used to be a Singer sewing machine factory.
There are these stores all over London (and Ireland as well) called Marks and Spencer. The store is two floors; upstairs is clothing, and downstairs is food. All of the food they sell is single serving, "to go" food. I just loved the rows and rows of packaged meals. There is a lot of this kind of food for sale all over London (cause everyone is always on the go).
Just some shots in the street. I took about 1000 photos of myself in mirrors, windows, etc.

Our first stop was St. Paul's Cathedral, a very old, very tall church. Photos are not permitted inside, but I snuck a few anyway.

You can walk to the top of the church and there is an outdoor viewing area. There are a few hundred more steps to go above this as well, but I got scared and couldn't make it all the way to the top. I waited for Gabe and took some pictures of the view.

This is the church from outside and downstairs.

Gabe thinks he is funny.
Next up: the Millenium Bridge and the Tate Modern museum.
Photos aren't aloud in the museum but here is me outside in the trees (photo by Gabe), and reflected in the front doors (told you i did that a lot).

The Tate Modern coffee cup:
Tired and jet lagged in the underground.

Next we went to visit an old friend of Gabe's who works in a record shop in the Notting Hill area of London. It was a cool neighborhood to walk around, but, frankly I was so tired by this point (having not slept in 24 hours) that I didn't really take many photos, other than this funny one:
And me in the public toilet fun house mirror.
And the records.
Then off to the hotel, and asleep by 7:30 PM! Stay tuned!


sara sanger said...

good, i'd hoped you'd start posting!

alanalda2k said...

these are awesome. i can see you digging a brick-a-brack free modern hotel...